Thursday, June 11, 2009

Taco Enchiladas

Here is a little experiment with some different blends--I called it taco enchiladas.  First I browned some ground beef--about 1 pound.  I added one can of drained and rinsed black beans, 3 T. taco seasoning and 1 T cajun seasoning, plus some water (whatever the taco says on the back).  You could use all taco, but I like the additional spiciness of the cajun without the thickening of the taco.  Make sense?  Let this simmer together about 10 minutes and get all thick and yummy.  

For the sauce, I had some fiesta salsa mixed up in the fridge.  (I like to use the petite diced tomatoes for my salsa mix rather than regular diced, called for on the package.)  I mixed this with some canned tomato sauce to make a thinner sauce--and to stretch the salsa.  (about 1 cup salsa with one can of tomato sauce)  If you don't already have some salsa mixed up, that's okay.  Just mix it up now--the flavors will come out as it bakes.  Shred some cheese--I used cheddar because that's what I had, but jack would be great too.  I think I used about 8 ounces--divided between inside the enchiladas and on top later.

Line up all your ingredients in an assembly line fashion.
 

I used 8 inch flour tortillas--put some meat mixture in, sprinkle in some cheese, roll up and put in the pan.


Pour sauce over the top and cover with aluminum foil.  When I do this again, I would put a little sauce in the bottom of the pan first.  I thought it would just run down and around, but it didn't and the tortillas got very crisp on the bottom--too crisp to even cut with a fork.  I like this toasted type flavor, but it was difficult for the kids to manage.  Bake 375 degrees for about 20-30 minutes.  Uncover and top with additional cheese.  Bake 10 more minutes until cheese is melted.  

Andy's verdict was "Yummy enchiladas!"  I'm always glad when he likes something I make up!

No comments: