Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Strawberry Chocolate Trifle


So this isn't exactly dinner food, but I don't have a separate label for dessert.  I've told guests at my Wildtree tastings that the chocolate mousse would be great in a trifle--and I finally had an excuse to try it!  I sent this to a baby shower I couldn't attend (sad) and people apparently loved it!  (yea!)

This is one angel food cake, 2 lbs. cut up strawberries and a pouch of chocolate mousse mix.  First, I sliced up the strawberries and tossed them with sugar and let them sit and macerate.  Meanwhile, tear up the angel food cake--you can use an electric knife if you have one and are so inclined to using a mini sort of kitchen power saw.  Me personally, I just tear.  Whip 2 cups of cream till soft peaks.  Remember to stop your mixer and check as you get close--you can't tell when you are at soft peaks while the mixer is running and you'll end up taking it too far.  Gently fold in the mousse mix and a little powdered sugar if you'd like.  When I make the mousse on it's own, I use a lot of powdered sugar, but for this mixed with sweetened strawberries and angel food cake, it doesn't need much, if any.  Layer the cake, then strawberries, then mousse in a trifle bowl.  Repeat.  I think I got 4 layers.  Be sure to use the juice accumulated in the strawberries on each layer.  I hope you reserved some whole strawberries for the top because I forgot to say that--it looks so pretty, don't you think?  I also happened to have some dark chocolate that I shaved with a vegetable peeler for some extra bling on the top!   Enjoy!  

No comments: