Friday, March 12, 2010

Sliders

On page 13 of the new January catalog is a great little recipe for Tex-Mex Sliders. My kiddos have been begging for these--what's the appeal about little burgers? Well, I can tell you--they're great for kids and adults alike. The little ones only need one--no more cutting burgers in half or quarters for them. And the big kids (like dad) can have more than one, with different toppings on each. On one he had the classic toppings and on the other he had the Tex-Mex toppings. Fun!

I made the burgers according to the recipe found in the catalog. If you don't have a current catalog, I'm happy to email you one, but here is the recipe as found on page 13.

Tex Mex Sliders

Burgers:
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
Salt to taste
Cheddar cheese slices
mini burger buns or soft dinner rolls

Toppings:
Wildtree Guacamole, prepared according to package instructions
Wildtree Fiesta Salsa, prepared according to package instructions
Baby arugula (I used the spring lettuce mix from Costco)
Red onion, thinly slices.

Preheat grill or grill pan.

In a large bowl, combine ground beef, hickory oil, garlic pepper and salt. Mix well and form into 8 mini patties. Grill meat to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side over medium-high heat. Add the cheese as soon as the burger is flipped to the second side. Grill buns until lightly toasted. Dress burgers with guacamole, salsa, arugula and onions and serve.

As you can see from the pics above, I made more than this recipe calls for--I used about 2 pounds of ground beef. If you're into weighing stuff, each little burger should weigh about 3 ounces. I tried to go a little smaller than that, but they shrunk up more than I would have liked.


For those of you that really know me, you know that I love to make bread. I make most of my own bread--buns are no exception. So, I made some dinner rolls, half whole wheat and flattened them out a bit for the buns. But seriously, store-bought dinner rolls are just fine. I'm just a little crazy like that.


Once again, our outdoor BBQ is still not working, so I used an indoor grill pan. Honestly I think even when it is working, these little guys would make Andy a little (ahem, a lot) irritated, so it's probably just as well to do them indoors, where you're not risking losing them through the grates.


I served them alongside some sliced oranges (thanks Dad!) Aren't they cute? Plan on 2 for each adult female or large child (such as your growing 11-year old boys) and 3 for adult males. Abby, 4 years old (I'm 4 1/2 MOM!) ate one.

1 comment:

link2literacy said...

Sorry, it's only me, but these mini-burgers ARE seriously CUTE! And so are "asides" - fun comments you insert between parentheses!